Thursday, December 15, 2011

How much is the charge when an American uses their debit card in England?

I plan on using my debit card when I go to live in England, until I set up a bank account there. How much is the service charge?|||ATMs in most English Banks don't charge - they will give a message saying that they are free but your provider may add a fee. ATMs in small shops often charge (I think about 3% with a 拢1.50 minimum) but by law they will tell you on the screen before you make the withdrawal.





Check with your own bank what they will charge, when I was in the US one debit card charged nothing and another 拢1.50 (about $3).





edit:


Oh, for purchases retailers are not permitted to add a charge for debit cards (though they can for credit cards), though some only allow credit cards for purchases of over 拢5 (about $10). Check whether your bank will add a charge, neither of my UK debit cards charged for purchases in the USA.





Remember that the exchange rate you get will be the rate at the end of the month - so if the 拢 and $ change rapidly you could end up spending more or less than you expect.|||probably a lot|||Check with your bank here and ask. There will very likely also be a charge from the bank in England if you use it at an ATM.

No comments:

Post a Comment